Raging Fires


1. For as long as I can remember, it has been taught that we should all try to prevent forest fires. The Smokey Bear campaign has drilled it into our heads that fires are bad. I'm not planning on changing my actions, I have no intention of being careless with fire, but it seems the propaganda has gone too far and made fire the enemy. I don't think I would consider myself an alarmist, as I have seen and heard a bit about controlled burns and I understand forest fires are essential to the health and rejuvenation of the natural ecosystem. I think the alarmist perspective might be helpful if you live in an area where forest fires can run rampant, like in the Sierras where the tree mortality rate is high.

2. The ecologist perspective is that fires are good and essential to a healthy, diverse forest. Fires help regenerate native plants, which in turn helps keep a balance among plant and animal communities. An example of this is the fir tree which has been allowed to grow up and take over certain environments. It is normally burned off in fires, but now it's existence has changed the relationship between the hawks and sage grouse. The hawks can perch on these tall trees and gain a better vantage point for peering down on the grouse that live in the brush. Fires help keep these firs in check and allow trees like the aspen which acts as a "wet blanket" to thrive. The trick is in how to use fire as an efficient way to clear clutter and debris from the forest without killing everything in its path.

3. After watching the video I felt a lot more educated about the benefits of fires and how they are needed. I learned:

  • 1860's was when all forest fires were extinguished as soon as possible
  • Extinguishing fires led to the build-up of undergrowth 
  • Undergrowth flourished and became fuel for future fires
  • Sequoia pinecones can't release their seeds without the heat from fires
  • Sequoia trees are adapted to survive in environments with frequent small fires
  • Sequoias have the thickest bark of any tree which makes them fire resistant   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Does Your Compost Go?

Ready for Wildfire

Life Cycle of the Salmon